The People Alliance are currently recruiting for a qualified and ambitious Senior Pensions Administrator with current experience in all aspects of Defined Benefits (DB) administration, including peer review, and you will ideally have experience of leading on client work. In addition, you will be proactive and able to take ownership of your work. This will be a 12-month maternity cover contract.
Please note that we will consider flexible working arrangements for this role.
Our range of pensions administration services include:
- Scheme administration
- Scam identification
- Payroll services
- Pension scheme accounting
- De-risking projects
- Technical consultancy
Key responsibilities include:
- Managing day-to-day activities of staff to ensure efficient and effective delivery of client work to agreed deadlines to comply with legislative and clients’ requirements.
- Acting as a key member of the pensions administration team, providing support to the assigned administration manager and where applicable, deputising for administration manager when absent.
- Day to day management of client relationships with trustees, scheme members and corporate clients, acting as first point of contact where applicable, taking a proactive stance to gain an extensive knowledge of their assigned client portfolio.
- Project managing annual projects such as renewals, benefit statements, life assurance, PHI and pension increases. Handling any data processing and administration tasks, ensuring projects are fully monitored and completed in line with customer and legislation requirements.
- Ensuring standard documentation is scheme specific, and incorporating them into existing procedures.
- Preparing for and where appropriate participating in trustee meetings.
- Handling complex pensions queries and pensions consultative advice.
- Performing complex manual benefits calculations.
- Producing ad-hoc and standard letters to ‘final letter standards’ in response to customer queries.
- Managing ad-hoc projects and exercises, e.g. bulk mailshots to scheme members.
- Updating relevant pensions administration databases and systems.
- Maintaining scheme control files.
- Monitoring, delegating and co-ordinating workflow, reporting regularly to administration manager on progress and issue management.
- Monitoring on going procedural developments and implementing changes to procedures where required.
- Checking of work completed by more junior staff at associate and associate II levels, including calculations, correspondence, reports and data updates.
- Informal training and mentoring of more junior members of the team.
- Assisting in appraisals and the recruitment process where required, as well as supporting administration manager in general HR, induction and performance issues.
- Contributing to technical sub-committees (TSC) and technical administration discussions.
- Providing possible assistance to the administration manager in the billing process.
- Keeping abreast of technical and legislative developments within the pensions industry.
- Working closely with other departments/teams both internal and external to the Company in order to provide a total service to our clients. E.g. Pensions Accounts, Payroll, Administration Support and ITM (3rd party IT software provider).
- Ensuring the accurate updating of time recording system (Virtual Office) for both chargeable and non-chargeable activities and meeting required utilisation targets and assisting administration manager in ensuring more junior staff record chargeable hours correctly.
Knowledge & experience
- Able to demonstrate a thorough knowledge of pensions administration activities and can apply this knowledge to any scheme.
- Previous pensions administration experience of Defined Benefit (DB) including leavers, retirements, deaths, transfers in, transfers out, monthly processing and investment, benefit statements, renewals and pension increases. This role is likely to appeal to individuals with a minimum of 5 years’ experience although not exclusive as all applications will be considered on an individual basis.
- Experience of current pensions legislation and framework is essential, especially the regulatory requirements of the various Pensions and Finance Acts which impact on pensions administration.
- Experience of checking and mentoring more junior members of staff is required.
- Third party pensions administration experience preferred, although strong all round experience within an in house pensions department, which is not purely process driven will be considered.
- Previous presentational experience would be of distinct advantage to assist with client meetings and new business development activities.
- Able to demonstrate a numerical aptitude evidenced by work related experience or academic achievements as listed below.
- Previous project management experience would be required to perform pension administration project based work.
- IT proficient, in particular Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook & PowerPoint.
Training, education & qualification
- Educated to a minimum of A Level or Degree or equivalent standard.
- Ideally a minimum of three C grades or above at A Level or equivalent qualification.
- Strong Maths and English GCSE or equivalent qualification – minimum grade B.
- Significant progression within a relevant pensions qualification e.g. CPC/QPA/DPC/RPC/APMI (or applicants deemed ‘qualified by experience’ would be considered).
Skills, abilities & personal qualities
- A self-motivated approach to professional and personal development.
- Willingness to learn and take on additional responsibilities commensurate to position within the team.
- Able to listen and follow instructions, procedures and assimilate information quickly in a consistent and accurate manner. Equally comfortable in providing instructions to other members of the team to ensure consistent, accurate work is delivered.
- Involvement in informal mentoring and management of more junior staff.
- Able to proactively take ownership and responsibility for own workload.
- Enthusiastic, positive and flexible approach to work.
- Effective interpersonal abilities, able to forge strong working relationships with colleagues and clients
- A high degree of accuracy and attention to detail is required in order to perform their duties both numerical and written.
- Confident communicator, able to communicate effectively, professionally and concisely in writing, face to face and/or over the telephone.
- Able to work as part of a multi-disciplined team.
- Good analytical and problem solving skills, capable of anticipating, resolving and owning problems to resolution.
- Able to recognise the need for a customer focused approach to their service delivery both in terms of quality and exceeding customer expectations.
- Excellent organisational and planning skills, both of self and other team members.
- Able to delegate work priorities to less experienced staff and manage work flows to meet client and legal expectations.
- Forming successful professional relationships both internally and externally.
- Supports, motivates and coaches colleagues and shares knowledge to the benefit of the team and/or wider Company.
- Flexible approach to work pressures.
- Continuing to augment technical pensions knowledge as well as keeping abreast of legislative changes and is seen as a source of advice to others.
- Continues to seek ways of improving quality, service delivery and efficiencies in processes and procedures.
- Good time management skills. Ability to work in advance of deadlines and prioritising multiple tasks.
- Well-developed project management skills – able to see projects/tasks from concept through to completion within given timescales.
- Thinking beyond the immediate team when considering tasks and action as to potential impacts.
- Developing personal impact with colleagues.
We offer an attractive reward package, typical benefits can include:
- Competitive salary
- Participation in Discretionary Bonus Scheme
- 25 days holiday
- Pension Plan
- Flexible Benefits Scheme to support you in and out of work, helping you look after you and your family covering Security & Protection, Health & Wellbeing, Lifestyle
- Life Assurance cover
- Rewards (offers discounts and savings from retailers and services providers as well as offers available via phone)
- Interest free season ticket loan
It is policy that an appointment is conditional on the following requirements and will be withdrawn without compensation if any of these conditions are not satisfied:
- Employment references
- Employment gap verification (Greater than 1 month)
- Adverse financial history (Detailed)
- Identity verification and Right to Work confirmation
- Basic DBS Disclosure (online process through DDC)
- Retro employment checks every 2 years
- Salary Offer 0 ~ $3000
- Experience Level Junior
- Total Years Experience 0-5
- Dropdown field Option 1